Friday, December 11, 2009

Read Any Good Books Lately?

It's that time of year...time to curl up with a good book, some hot tea/cocoa, and get comfy under a warm blanket (unless you are lucky enough to have a fireplace to heat you up).  I'm in a book club that has been meeting for only a few months. 

So far we have read: 

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - This was a tough book for me to get into (and apparently two others in the book club...even the friend who suggested the book didn't finish it!).  I enjoyed reading about Owen and Johnny as children, but the narrative by Johnny as an adult bored me (too political, I think).  Despite all that, the ending of the book was well worth suffering through Johnny's adult rants.  We're still trying to decide if Christie is allowed to choose another book...hahah.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova - Wow.  What a wonderfully written, thought-provoking, emotion-wringing story about Alice, a 50-something year old, Harvard professor who is diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimer's Disease.  This journey of a brilliant mind's tragic deteriorization is written from Alice's point-of-view.  She shares her heartache, frustration, insight, and inspiration.  I highly recommend this one!  Great choice, Kathy!

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf - Another "wow" inspired book.  For any Jodi Picault fans, this is one author you need to read!  I was excited to read this one since the author lives in Dubuque and the story is based in eastern Iowa.  I usually have a harder time following a story that jumps around from one point-of-view to the next, but this one kept me so intrigued that I kept turning the pages.  This is a one-night read.  So, Beth, what's it about? you ask.  It is a story that encompasses the lives of two families, whose young daughters are best friends with a very special bond.  Tragedy strikes and the race is on to save one little girl's life and the other's quality of life.  This one keeps you guessing until the end!  Way to go, Amy!

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Okay, this was a FANTASTIC read....a total page turner.  It is not an easy read emotionally.  This well-written, geniusly formatted book is about teen suicide.  I know, not exactly the first topic you think you want to read (or talk about).  Maybe the fact that it's a taboo subject is why teen suicide is on the rise?  Hmm, point to ponder.  In the story, Hannah leaves behind thirteen tapes for thirteen people to listen to.  These people affected her life and created her reasons why.  Wow, I wish I could explain better than that.  Still sounds all heavy, and it is.  Even though it's a tough topic to read and discuss, it is well worth it.  As a former teen, I could see myself and others in so many situations that affect Hannah.  I remember the feelings of never being able to get past a rumor or reputation.  As a mother of teens, it scares the Hell out of me.  I am very seriously considering having my sons read this and discuss it with me (and their father, who will need to read it, too).  The overlaying message here is to realize the weight of your actions, speech, jokes, etc., because you never know who will take them to heart (and it may be their "last straw").  This one comes highly recommended to all teens, parents of teens, and anyone who loves a teen...heck, anyone who has been a teen should read this!  This was my book choice, and I'm glad I did.

So, any booklovers out there in the Dubuque area want to join our little bookclub, let me know.  Anyone else who has recommendations, please share with us.  We are open to anything:  fiction, non-fiction, adult books, children's books, religious/spiritual books, inspirational, motivational, or just a good "who done it".

2 comments: